Sir Martin Narey and Mark Owers have been appointed by the Secretary of State for Education to conduct a National Fostering Stocktake. As a first step, they are seeking views on the current state of foster care in England and how the prospects of children in care might be improved through changes to fostering.
They would like to hear from the following about how to make fostering more effective in meeting the needs of children:
- foster carers
- children in care
- children and adults who have left care
They are looking at:
- the types of fostering currently offered by providers
- the status, role and function of foster carers in relation to other professionals
- how we commission, regulate and inspect fostering settings
- what works best in fostering settings to improve outcomes for children and young people
- How we can improve the experiences of young people entering foster care, transitioning between placements, and leaving foster care
The closing date is 17 June 2017 and responses should be emailed to Stocktake.FOSTERING@education.gov.uk
Further Information about the Fostering Stocktake and how to respond can be found here.
You can download the further information about the Fostering Stocktake here.