The Department for Education (DfE) has published a Statistical First Release providing national and local authority level information about looked after children and young people, care leavers and adoptions in the year ending 31st March 2016. Key points include:
- 70,440 children were looked after at 31st March 2016, an increase of 1% on the previous year. Of these children:
- 51,850 (74%) were being cared for in a foster placement, compared to 51,590 in 2015
- 4,210 (6%) were unaccompanied asylum seeking children, compared to 2,630 in 2015
- 4,690 children were adopted in the year ending 31st March 2016, compared to 5,360 in 2015, a decrease of 12%
- 3,830 children ceased to be cared for due to the granting of a special guardianship order in the year ending 31st March 2016, compared to 3,560 in 2015, an increase of 8%.
Further details can be found in the Statistical First Release and tables available on the Gov.uk website.