The Department for Education (DfE) has published statutory guidance for local authorities, relevant partners and others who contribute to services provided to children in care and care leavers in England.
The guidance sets out seven principles that local authorities must have regard to when exercising their functions in relation to children and young people in care including:
- acting in their best interests, and promoting their physical and mental health and well-being
- encouraging children and young people to express their views, wishes and feelings
- to take the views, wishes and feelings of those children and young people
- helping children and young people gain access to and make the best use of services provided
- promoting high aspirations, and seeking to secure the best outcomes
- ensuring safety, and stability in their home lives, relationships and education or work
- to prepare the children and young people for adulthood and independent living.
For further information, please click here.