Ofsted has released its latest annual dataset on fostering provision in both local authority and independent fostering services in England. Key figures include:
- There were 83,175 approved fostering places in England as at 31 March 2016, an increase of 3% on the previous year.
- 101,795 initial enquiries were received from new prospective fostering households, compared to 103,355 in 2014-15.
- 51,805 children and young people were in fostering placements at 31 March 2016, a very similar number to the previous year.
- The number of brothers and sisters assessed to be placed together and then placed together during 2015-2016 increased by 9% on the previous year.
- 2,910 children experienced 3,490 unplanned endings during 2015-16 (not comparable to data from previous years).
The commentary document and dataset can be downloaded from the Gov.uk website.