As foster carers need to register as self-employed, HMRC has a number of online services to support foster carers including:
- an e-learning link – Tax for foster carers
- ready reckoner – this calculates how much tax and national insurance needs to be paid on your self-employment earnings
- @hmrcbusiness is a Twitter account designed to provide help to businesses. HMRC tweets about educational products, upcoming tax matters and online guidance. Followers can also ask general queries via twitter.
- Facebook – HMRC promotes key dates in the GOV.UK calendar.
- YouTube – a selection of short videos covering subjects such as registering as self-employed and record keeping
- Business Support Tax App – allows access to all the above via your tablet or mobile device: Apple i-store or Google play
HMRC has also recorded webinars on the GOV.UK website, there is one especially for foster carers including expenses, self-assessment and record keeping.
Fosterline also has a variety of information with regards to foster carer’s finances here, or to speak to a Fosterline Adviser in confidence call 0800 040 7675, Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.