Keep on Caring: supporting young people from care to independence, has been published. It is available HERE
The strategy sets out our commitment to transforming the lives of – and opportunities for – care leavers. It proposes how the Government, working with and through local authorities, will help care leavers to achieve five key outcomes:
- Be better prepared to deal with the challenges of living independently;
- Be better able to access education, employment and training;
- Live stable, safe and secure lives;
- Have better access to health support, in particular help to maintain their emotional health and well-being; and
- Achieve financial stability.
It also outlines the range of service changes to improve the day-to-day experience of young people leaving care, and sets out the government’s commitment to support new approaches, funded through the innovation programme, to deliver a step-change in the support care leavers receive.
Finally, the strategy references the creation of a new care leaver covenant, which was announced by the Prime Minister in May. The government will be saying more about the covenant, and how it will work with private, public and voluntary sector organisations to increase opportunities for young people leaving care when it is launched this autumn.